Martin Kennedy has been named 18th man for the Queensland Origin team to take the field next Wednesday.
The big prop has turned two superb weeks of go-forward into an Origin jumper after spending the majority of the season coming off the bench for the Roosters. In the past two weeks he’s run it 12 times for 163 metres with a try, 29 tackles, three misses, one penalty and one error versus the Eels; and 11 times for 118 metres with 27 tackles, one penalty and two errors versus the Warriors.
Team selection for the Sydney Roosters will make for interesting reading tonight, with Michael Jennings, James Maloney and Mitch Pearce all on duty as well.
It’s long been expected that Aubo will slide into Jenko’s left-centre role, with Daniel Mortimer to replace MP7 in the halfback slot versus a near-full strength Bulldogs squad smarting from the 38-0 shellacking in round six this year. Will this be the long-awaited debut round for big Kane Evans or Dylan Napa? And will Samisoni Langi be named despite missing last week’s NYC game with a shoulder injury?
Here’s the full Queensland squad via Queensland Rugby League:
XXXX Queensland Maroons
1. Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)
2. Darius Boyd (Newcastle Knights)
3. Greg Inglis (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
4. Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Brent Tate (North Queensland Cowboys)
6. Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
7. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
8. Matt Scott (North Queensland Cowboys)
9. Cameron Smith (c) (Melbourne Storm)
10. Nate Myles (Gold Coast Titans)
11. Chris McQueen (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
12. Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos)
14. Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles)
15. Ben Te’o (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
16. Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
17. Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
18. Martin Kennedy (Sydney Roosters)
Coach: Mal Meninga